Can we talk about how mindless this story is and why the reporter should probably be blacklisted?
- Did you know the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union was still around? No, you didn’t, because they took it out of the AP Stylebook a number of years ago because, hey, Scott Bauer, it’s not Women’s. Woman’s. Also, they’re not actually a union! Not like a labor union, like the kind that is still pretty pissed off about its collective bargaining rights being removed. Different things! Not that hard!
- I didn’t know the WCTU was still around (and I studied feminist history! and I have a lot of thoughts on women and alcohol and feminism), so maybe you should say something about why they’re pissed off about beer being served in the first place. Wouldn’t they be pissed off that beer was being served anywhere, at all? And maybe include the fact that no one listens to them anymore since Prohibition failed?
- And maybe let’s just let it be known that the WCTU was started because a bunch of women were pissed off that their husbands were beating them, instead of “NO ONE LISTENS TO THESE CRAZY WOMEN ANYMORE.” It’s an important historical addendum, bro.
- Look, I don’t like Scott Walker anymore than you do, but he didn’t get recalled, and maybe there’s a halfassed attempt at reconciliation, which is actually the story. Is it a real attempt at reconciliation? Probably not, but I bet you could report on that!
- But the real offender here: “The cookout menu features brats, a local sausage whose name is pronounced ‘brahts,’ and beer produced by a number of Wisconsin companies.” We know how to pronounce brats, dude, even on the coasts and especially in the context of Wisconsin.